Sunday, March 15, 2009

On Budgets

Like everyone else in these challenging economic times, we have decided to "tighten our belts", to "cut corners" wherever possible and to "trim the fat" from our budget. So today we tackled our finances. Together, we sat down in front of the computer, spread out our various statements and printouts determining exactly where we stand...financially. And honestly, we're not doing too bad...I must say. But, like anyone who is trying to maintain a positive financial future, there are some changes in store for the Smith household.

No more Starbuck's nonfat vente chai at $5 bucks a pop (which of course always included a pastry at $2.99 and a nonfat vente toffe-nut latte for Laura). Gone.

No more pedicures (unless I have a gift certificate) for $35 plus tip every other weekend! I will have to paint my own toes pretty. Bye-bye.

No more expensive lunches out for Stevie during the work week. He can pack his own brown bag like the rest of us...or eat at the hospital...for free. Adios.

No more impulse buying for things we simply don't need! Regardless of how bad I'm PMS-ing or the type of day I've just had. Later.

So, after calling the cable company to reduce our platinum package to silver, canceling our home phone service, placing my gym membership on hold, and discovering a buried check for almost $3,000 dollars...Steven and I thought we deserved a little celebration...at the Waterside shops. They were having an amazing sale at both Gap and Banana Republic and I remembered I had an incredible 30% of coupon tucked away in my wallet. After all, I needed some items for the girls' Easter baskets and with my new finanacial awareness, I felt content with my purchases. I think we should do this budget thing every weekend!