Saturday, April 18, 2009

On Traveling...









I love traveling.
Really, really love it.
Each year we take the obligatory trip or two home to Michigan. And I truly, truly savor every minute spent there...especially the summers in Harbor Springs.
But, somehow, that's not traveling in the truest sense of the word. I've been there before. I know the area inside and out. And while revisiting those tried and true places of my past, present and future is always incredible, relaxing and inspiring...I love to find and explore new destinations.
I love the palpable anticipation I feel while touring around someplace new with my camera slung around my neck...daydreaming about what it would be like to live, work or raise my family there instead of where we chose to make a home. I love the sensation of discovering there is a very different world outside of my own backyard. I find these experiences leave me feeling hopeful and grateful for being able to experience someplace brand new.
But, given my role as a busy mom of two extremely busy young women, the wife of a thrifty husband who is always contemplating our financial future and my own restrictions as a full-time teacher...traveling to new, exotic locales is often just beyond my reach.
But, sometimes, for just a brief period of time everything just falls into place. Great friends, awe-inspiring landmarks and exceptional cherry blossoms made our travel to our nation's capitol early this April an umistakable delight.

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." ~G.K. Chesterton
See for yourself.