Friday, June 26, 2009

Choices

Throughout our lives we are faced with a multitude of choices. So many of these choices are completed in the blink of an eye without a great deal of thought or consideration. Such as...should I have my oat bran cereal with strawberries or bananas for breakfast? Or...am I going to wear a my favorite Mackinac Island hat today or take the trouble to blow dry my hair?



While other choices require significant contemplation and reflection. Such as...do I share with my mother-in-law my differing views about the upcoming family fourth of July celebration or do I simply let it go, give in to her suggestions, and suffer in silence? Or...do I divulge my darkest secrets to my daughters with the hope that the information will enlighten them, or is it a burden too painful for a young girl which shouldn't be imposed regardless of the intent?

However challenging or simple, I'm grateful for choices. Without them I wouldn't be able to make meaningful mistakes that force me to grow. And...I might always eat bananas on my cereal.