Sunday, November 1, 2009

Similar Sentiments


"Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?"-Hal Borland

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show."-Andrew Wyeth

"The thinnest yellow light of November is more warming and exhilarating than any wine they tell of. The mite which November contributes becomes equal in value to the bounty of July."-Henry David Thoreau

"November's sky is chill and drear,
November's leaf is red and sear."-Sir Walter Scott


While we South Floridians may not be able to witness the searing red leaves as autumn continues to descend, I still like to fill my home with everything that is November. Although the fall foliage is of the silk variety...I love it. And while I may not be able to wander over to the nearest cider mill for some fresh Honey Crisps and mulled cider, I can burn fifteen autumn wreath votives from Yankee to get my fix. For me, this season is a time of reflection and contemplation...and that's a large part of why I love it so. A time of self-examination if you will. And I'm pretty satisfied with my life thus far. As this season progresses, I find myself pulling my family closer, wanting to develop those relationships more fully. As the year draws to a close, I am pleased with the way God has stretched me spiritually and pray that He will continue to do so. Yep, I love November.