Sunday, July 20, 2008

Finding the Keepers

“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”~Scott Adams

Everyone knows I'm an orderly person...downright anal at times. Thus, because of the way my mind tends to work and view the world, I would NEVER describe myself as a creative person. Creativity is messy right? It doesn't fit in with the definition of myself that for whatever reason I cling to...like a neat pile of freshly laundered towels...fluffy, clean and safe.

So, instead I fill my life with extremely creative people (Dawn, Laura, and Lisa to name a few fav's) and I just steal their brilliance. But, still somewhere in the back of my mind I can hear myself scream...what are you really afraid of??? Failure??? Exposure??? Mocking laughter??? (Yes, Yes, and YES!)

I am truly trying to move past these self-imposed limitations...and the next statement might may not make sense to some but I owe it all to the Nikon D-40. With the purchase of this fantastic piece of technology (because to say it is simply a camera is insulting), I have been more willing to try. I daresay this amazing device has successfully unlocked from my neatly ordered brain hidden creative potential.

I'm not very good yet...but now that I have opened that little creative window in my heart and head...I can feel the breeze stirring new ideas...whispering to me to come out and play. What's more, I'm less afraid to make mistakes because of that handy little delete button. Some keepers are even saved on my computer. And what fun I'm having!!!