Monday, July 7, 2008

summer vacation 2008


i can't believe it's over...it was truly the best vacation of my life! and i'm not exaggerating.

yes, my weight gain from the mass amounts of soda and junk food have made me appear to be four months along...yes, my back and legs suffered from continual soreness from being shaped into a pretzel for hours on end...yes, i often needed drugs (go melatonin!) to sleep nights due to the cacophony of snores around the room...but every little ache, each lost minute of sleep, and all the extra calories were more than worth it!

now, anyone who knows me is well aware that i need my quiet time...my time all to myself...to revive myself and regenerate...i'm guessing this originates from all my days as an only child...those moments of solitude are part of who i am. but, i really and truly did not feel those typical rumblings...the grumps i usually get from being with others for extended periods with no time off.

instead, i loved watching my daughters strengthen their budding new "teen" relationship...i cherished being witness to the tenderness shown by a little brother to his big sister and vice versa...i felt utter joy when my youngest child took my hand in hers and through a tear-soaked voice expressed her concern for me after visiting my uncle's name on the wall...i experienced once again my husband's bizzare and hysterical sense of humor reminding of just one of the reasons why i fell in love with him...i felt extreme compassion for my oldest child's wounded heart when she discovered the community surrounding one of the seven wonder's of the world had sold out.

if you ever have the opportunity to cram your entire family (and eighty plus pound dog along with a very special auntie) into your family truckster for four days of driving (over thirty-five hours) and five days of touring awesome destinations...i urge you to bite the bullet and do it...you won't be sorry!