Sunday, January 4, 2009

...keep me in the loop, PLEASE!

When my oldest child entered the world it became my greatest ambition to be a fully present and involved parent. However, due to the realities of that thrifty time in our young lives, I was required to work as the primary bread winner the first few years of Alissa's life. This unwelcome fact made my resolve for returning home to be her full-time mommy even stronger. Gratefully, just prior to the addition of Kinsey to our little family tree, that glorious goal was reached. For years and years I spent every waking minute with both of my girls and I wouldn't trade those precious memories for all the tea in China! Answering Alissa's every question about our intriguing world and picking Kinsey's warped little brain kept me in the the loop. In fact, I fashioned the loop! But relationships evolve...especially with our children...as they must. I work constantly to remain in the loop these days. It's such a challenge to be a good listener...to listen with both my heart and my head. But, I'm always striving to be better. It's an even bigger challenge to avoid offering criticism (constructive though it may be)because the loop can be yanked away without warning. But when they let me in...really let me in...it's magic...and such an honor.