Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Philosophy 101

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~Plato

The words are printed on a tiny little card from a set that I discovered in a clearance bin...at all places...Starbucks. When I peeled back the perforated flap to reveal this little nugget, that was first uttered eons ago, it brought a grin to my lips. Reading those straightforward words, which get to the heart of it so easily, propels me into action...to bring them to fruition.

Because their timelessness tells me just how true they most certainly are...in our day to day existence we never really know what the young woman checking out our groceries might be dealing with at that very moment...but a kind smile could bring light to her life. The simple kindness of holding the door for that grumpy little gray haired gal at the bookstore could ease her burden...whatever it might be. Or in Alissa's case adding those words to her Face book status might bring a ray of hope to someone it bumps into them along their route on the technology superhighway.

I just know it's worth the effort.