Friday, May 23, 2008

Resemblances

All my life I have been told I resemble my father. Obviously, we share genetic material so that makes sense. I have always been fascinated by the way in which our mannerisms, voice patterns and physical characteristics are influenced not only by the codes written in our DNA but also by the environments in which we are raised.

My husband gently reminds me that I have dad's tendency to give the impression I'm listening intently...but all the while I'm completely absorbed in my own thoughts. I'm also aware that both my father and I are not at all comfortable expressing our deepest, most intense feelings towards those most important to us face-to-face without extreme personal discomfort...but in writing and sometimes on the phone where there is a semblance of anonymitity or safety...we can let our vulnerabilities be more easily exposed.

He has enthusiastically shared with me his love of music, cinema and reading. And this too has shaped me into the person I am today. Some of my absolute favorite memories from my growing up years revolve around his amazing stereo system and seemingly infinite collection of albums.

I am the culmination of these experiences along with 1/2 of my biology...an absent-minded listener, a lover of obscure movies, British rock, and rhythm and blues, as well as a fair skinned, brown-haired girl. The resemblance is undeniable.