Wednesday, May 21, 2008

voices in my head

i'm not crazy. on my way to an unexpected appointment this afternoon my cell phone rang. since i was focusing on driving i didn't check to see who was making the call. and, in all honesty, i was slightly distracted. just moments prior to the phone ringing i had contacted my oldest to inform her of my change in afternoon plans. when i heard the familiar voice on the other end, i was certain it was alissa calling back for some unknown reason...she probably needed a ride somewhere. until the voice on the other end excitedly exclaimed that she could see me from her bus window because we were driving alongside one another. realizing my error, i concentrated on the voice more carefully and i could barely tell it was kinsey...at least not the kinsey i'm so used to hearing. my kinsey has a tiny, delicate "little girl" voice on the phone. i absolutely adore her "little girl" voice. i thought she would have her "little girl" voice forever and ever. but it appears i was wrong. i'm just going to have to accept that the sweet childlike voice i associate with my baby is gone. i'm going to have to settle for a memory. somehow i will hold on tightly to those voices in my head.