Monday, May 19, 2008

Tidy vs. Messy

Swiffers cloths, Soft Scrub gel with bleach, and Glade's clean linen scented carpet sprinkles are all part of my daily habits. In fact, once I have checked in with the girls after my work day, I follow the same basic routine. Clear and scrub all counters...wash any leftover dishes from breakfast...straighten couch area and pillows...use lint roller if needed to eliminate pesky dog hair...check to see that Steven made the bed...adjust bedspread and throw pillows...tuck in sheets that are visible at bottom...use Swiffer to clean the wood floors of entire house...walk the dogs. It seldom deviates. I am a creature of habit.

My mother was unbelievably fastidious...we spent every Saturday morning of my youth cleaning side by side. My grandmother lovingly maintained the original tile, carpet, and wallpaper in her home for over thirty years...and it looked brand new! So, understandably, the torch of cleanliness was passed quite naturally to me.

Clearly this tidiness gene skipped a generation with the birth of my eldest child. It used to drive me nearly insane. Now I just close the door, shake my head, and even smile. The funny thing is...I kinda like her way better...and I wouldn't change the little slob's messiness (most of the time) for all the Swiffers in the world!