Saturday, May 3, 2008

trying forgiveness

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”-Mahatma Gandhi

I rarely drink. I definitely don't smoke. But I do have one vice...Dr. Phil. Somehow by watching the guests on his stage I find consolation in knowing that I am not the only dysfunctional human on the planet. They remind me we all have our own cross to bear.

However, there is yet another powerful motivator behind my addiction to Dr. Phil...I call them the "forgiveness folks." I truly feel like I've hit the talk show jackpot when good old Phil highlights those rare and extraordinary individuals who fully embrace forgiveness. It's not an act...they mean it...and it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up.

Like the two families that appeared just a few weeks ago. An unfortunate mix-up at the scene of a deadly accident altered the course of their lives...yet they had nothing but forgiveness and compassion to share. No anger. No resentment. What struck me as unbearably sad was the interview with the medical examiner who made the mistake. The poor man was a shell of his former self. He was absolutely tortured and consumed with guilt and couldn't forgive himself...even though they did.

I don't intend to live my life that way...devoured slowly by unresolved pain or paralyzed emotionally until I'm numb. Already I am well aware that I devote too much of my precious time ruminating about the mistakes I've made and the misdeeds of others towards me.

With greater clarity than ever before, I see power in forgiveness. I see freedom in forgiveness. I see compassion in forgiveness. I see bravery in forgiveness. And it's beautiful. And I'm going to give it a try...for me...for my girls. Just don't look for me on Dr. Phil.