Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Land Down Under

Who isn't intrigued by Australia? One particularly interesting aspect of this island continent that I tend to think of this time of year is how their seasons are completely reversed from ours. I often wonder if the folks in Australia find it strange to prepare for Christmas when the mercury begins climbing rather than plummeting.

Which makes me think about myself here basking in the temperate climate of Florida. I never quite feel totally engaged with the holiday season since moving 1,500 miles...probably because I am a product of the north...unexpected snowstorms, frosted windowpanes, and the like were and still are part of my Christmas mindset.

So, this year as I witness annual flowers being planted, ducklings paddling across the pond and mild breezes moving the palm fronds amidst the boughs of pine and twinkly lights...I'm going to adopt an accent like the aussies and think, Happy Christmas, Mate!