Sunday, November 2, 2008

Yearning for solitude...and yes, I'm a bit of a loner...and that's a good thing.

I used to make apologies for my intense need to be alone...blame it on my being an only child...or whatever. Now, I know it's just one aspect of what makes me...well, me...and that's okay.

Not so long ago, I believed there was something wrong with me when I would hide away in my bedroom at the end of the work week for a few hours or take long walks alone each afternoon to regroup and recharge. Now, I've learned that my solitude is precious to me...and those who know me and love me know it as well...and that is just perfect...for me.


"I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude." –Henry David Thoreau, Walden

"Solitude is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it." –Deepak Chopra

"We do not require company. The opposite: in varying degrees, it bores us, drains us, makes our eyes glaze over. Overcomes us like a steamroller. Of course, the rest of the world doesn’t understand." -Unknown

"Being a loner is not about hate, but need: We need what others dread. We dread what others need." -Unknown

"They say isolation drives you crazy. Sure it does—when you can’t get enough of it." -Unknown