Sunday, April 6, 2008

I love words.

I love words...all words. Especially when words are carefully fashioned and crafted in order to evoke an emotion, reveal a mystery, or soothe the soul. There are very few deeds, in my mind, that are more powerful than the use of clear, concise language when it completely encapsulates a particular feeling, experience or event. Those "ahaa" moments that say, "that's precisely what I was thinking"! Here are some recent examples I've stumbled upon that illustrate my point:



"A story is alive, as you and I are. It is rounded by muscle and sinew. Rushed with blood. Layered with skin, both rough and smooth. At its core lies soft marrow of hard, white bone. A story beats with the heart of every person who has ever strained ears to listen. On the breath of the storyteller, it soars. Until its images and deeds become so real you can see them in the air, shimmering like oases on the horizon line. A story can fly like a bee, so straight and swift you catch only the hum of its passing. Or move so slowly it seems motionless, curled in upon itself like a snake in the sun. It can vanish like smoke before the wind. Linger like perfume in the nose. Change with every tell, yet always remain the same."
— Cameron Dokey


You'll end up
ordinary if you're
not careful.

Careful to take
the risks,
break some rules.

Reach a little
bit further if
you want to live,
not just exist.

Jump in at the
deep end and
act on your impulse.

You'll mess up
sometimes, but you'll
always get a good story out of it.

I've got no time
for regrets
so I'm doing it all.

Wear patterns,
sing out loud,
close your eyes,
soak it in.

Love to live.
-A.S.