Wednesday, April 23, 2008

locked away dreams

"No vision and you perish; No ideal, and you're lost;
Your heart must ever cherish some faith at any cost.
Some hope, Some dream to cling to, Some rainbow in the sky,
Some melody to sing to, Some service that is high."
-Harriet DuAutermont



I secretly dream of selling everything, packing up my kids and husband, and moving thousands of miles away to some intriguing country like Portugal, Switzerland or Morocco...shopping in outdoor markets, buying fresh baked bread from wrinkled old women, living a relaxed life while totally immersed in a strange new culture, figuring out how to communicate and adapt.

I secretly dream of owning a quaint little bookstore with big red awnings on some busy downtown street...the rustic shelves filled from floor to ceiling with hardcovers...first editions of the classics alongside the popular authors of today...the faint scent of the inky paper filling the room while big overstuffed chairs shoved in little nooks invite patrons to luxuriate while snuggling with their books.

I secretly dream of plummeting to earth from a plane with a parachute strapped to my back while my husband is at my side...screaming at the top of my lungs from the rush of adrenaline...keeping my eyes completely open the whole time...overcoming my intense fear of heights with that single jump.

But for now...I still live in Naples...my bookshelves are in my home office...and my feet are firmly planted on the ground. I will keep dreaming.