Monday, April 28, 2008

self-acceptance

I've always admired people who seem so at ease with "small talk"...individuals that appear comfortable telling a joke to a crowd, or relaying a funny anecdote at a party...I am so inept in this area...which used to bother me...a lot. But admiration is a tricky notion...as I believe it can quickly turn to jealousy if you're not cautious. So, I always surround myself with people who are socially gifted and silently watch with awe, wonder and sometimes envy as they seem to move through the world with such confidence and ease...giggling at their jokes, smiling at their antics and admiring their spontaneity. It has taken me close to forty-one years to come to terms with this fact. I am simply not a "small talk" person. I will probably never be comfortable in the social spotlight and that suits me just fine. I truly prefer to really connect with a person...one-on-one...discussing issues, sharing stories, and laughing at myself. And that's okay.


“When you're a beautiful person on the inside, there is nothing in the world that can change that about you. Jealousy is the result of one's lack of self-confidence, self-worth, and self-acceptance. The Lesson: If you can't accept yourself, then certainly no one else will.”-Sasha Azevedo